Monday, June 13, 2011

Hiccups. . . . Post Surgery Days 8 & 9


Wonderful Grandparents!!


Our Handsome Little Man!




Such a Cute Pair!!

My Little Miracle!

Friday, June 10th, 2011 (Post Surgery-Day 8)
We have learned by now that Tritton has not done anything "usual" he likes to beat to his own drum. . .and carve a path down an unexpected road at times. I sure hope this is not any insight to future experiences.

This morning he had an x-ray of his stomach/chest area. The doctors were worried about a little fluid that had been accumulating around the left cavity of his chest area, but were going to watch it for a while and see if the body would just absorb it.
He also began to have arrhythmia spells-where his heart would speed up too fast which would cause his blood pressure to rise as well. He has the "hook ups" already attached to him and his heart for the pace maker, if necessary. He was able to out out of the first two spells by himself, but through the night he had 2 more, where the nurse had to turn on the pace maker. It didn't take much for it to slowly come back down, but if he continues to have these arrhythmia spells then they may have to put him on a medication to regulate it for 6 months or more. I was worried about having to deal with this medication, but IF we need it. . . we will take care of it when we cross that bridge.
That evening the goal was to watch the left side of his chest for further fluid, and keep a close on his output of fluid. (they call it negative fluid. . . meaning he is getting rid of more fluid through his urine, than positive fluid where his body is retaining).

Saturday, June 11, 2011 (Post Surgery-Day 9)
After careful watch over night at his chest and flank area, the doctors wanted another x-ray of his left chest cavity that morning. Sure enough the left side had also filled up with fluid from the lymphoids being nicked during surgery.
So as we watched they put in another chest tube on his left side. When they first put it in, due to the amount of fluid and pressure, it sprayed quite a large amount of fluid on the bedside. I was feeling awful! We had just got these tube taken out a few days earlier and now we were set back another week or more due to this issue.

Fortunately, Grandma T and Grandpa n Grandma Leavitt were there to comfort us. It was such a blessing to have them there for us. . . in person! Thank you for your love and support through all of this. WE love you all so very much!!

As the day went on we got confirmation that the blood samples/cultures came back negative for infection, which would have been devastating. Tritt was stopped of his Fentanol (a drug used for sedation and pain killer) and placed on another that will help him be more awake and alert while being comfortable. They also turned down his oxygen a little to begin weaning him of his breathing tube. Later in the evening they will begin to put him on the MCT Diet with 1-2cc every 4 hours and work their way to the pre-spun /"fat free" breast milk, which they are hoping to get to 16-19cc soon.
Saturday night went well-NO ARRHYTHMIA spells!! YAHOO!

Emotions . . . . of the past few days. . .
This week had been one roller coaster twist, turn, loop, stomach loosing, brain busting, loop-d-loop ride! Although we had the support of both our parents here to lean on as well as each other, I was dealing with such a misleading feeling of doubt. I was scared to hope for anything positive, since anytime I did we were hit in the face with another set back. It was like we would take 2 steps forward and 3 back everyday. I can't explain the feeling of lost hope and doubt I was experiencing during this time. I knew it was Satan doing his best to bring me down, but I was letting him. I found myself in such a scary place. I did feel hopeless. . . .

I was able to find some time alone during all of this and while I hit my knees asking for understanding and help, I happened along the May 2011 Conference Edition of the Ensign I just happened to bring on a whim. I felt so guided to open it and turn to the table of contents. As I did I came across a talk given by Elder Russell M. Nelson, titled "Face the Future with Faith."
I turned to it and began to read. . . and read. . . and re-read. It was my Heavenly Father talking to me through this prophetic way of inspiration.

The article taught that we as parents need to teach our children about faith in different means of obedience, but then there were some points made that were so profound to me that I have not forget them, they are embedded in my mind.

" ". . . And remember, God's holy angles are ever on call to help us. The Lord so declared: "I will go before your face. I will be on your right hand and on your left, and my Spirit shall be in your hearts, and mine angels round about you, to bear you up." What a promise! When we are faithful, He and His angels will help us. "

It continued to say. . ." "Unfailing faith is fortified through prayer. Your heartfelt pleadings are important to Him. Think of the intense and impassioned prayers of the Prophet Joseph Smith during this dreadful days of incarceration in Liberty Jail. The Lord responded by changing the Prophet's perspective. He said, "Know thou, my son, that all these things shall give thee experience, and shall be for thy good." If we pray with an eternal perspective, we need not wonder if our most tearful and heartfelt pleadings are heard. This promise from the Lord is recorded in section 98 of the Doctrine and Covenants: "Your prayers have entered into the ears of the Lord. . . . and are recorded with his seal and testament-the Lord hath sworn and decreed that they shall be granted." "

The most profound statement of the whole talk was a quote from President Monson, he said, "My beloved brothers and sisters, fear not. Be of good cheer. The future is as bright as your faith."

I knew, after reading this article, that my prayers and the prayers of so many were not in vain. That these "Hiccups" had a reason for happening and that I had to endure it with faith. As I pondered these words of counsel over the last few hours of the day, I felt more at peace and had a better understanding of what my role was in this trial/lesson we are being taught. I knew that my Heavenly Father KNEW of our situation and was with my sweet boy. I knew of his love for Jess and I and our ability and need to lean on Him.
I later shared this article with Jess and we had a great discussion about the role faith plays in our everyday lives. It is truly one of those things in life you cannot live without. The other side is dark and dreadful, but with faith, truly our future can be bright!
I encourage any of you to read this article and also "The Atonement Covers All Pain" by Elder Kent F. Richardson, pg. 15 of May 2011 Ensign. What a peace both articles brought to my mind, heart, and soul. I couldn't do this without the knowledge of my Heavenly Father and Savior and their Eternal plan for us. I am so grateful for the gospel in my life and the power it has over any earthly foe! I love my little family so dearly and Thank You All for your prayers, thoughts, sacrifice, and generosity during this trial of our faith. May the Lord bless you all for your blessed efforts. We Love You!!

2 comments:

Ben and Misty said...

I think I would have had a panic attack if I had been there when they put the chest tube in and it started spraying... Oh the things you guys have had to go through! You are amazing! I'm so glad you got to have family there with you this week it's get to feel so good to have that support by your side! We love you guys!!

Brad & Beth said...

I have been reading your blog just choking back the tears. I didn't even know you were expecting then mark and heather told us about little Tritt and I immediately looked up your blog. After all that you have been through I couldn't believe the feeling of peace and the strength I got from reading your posts. You are an amazing woman and I am so happy your little boy us doing so well. We miss you guys. Love you guys. And you all are in our thoughts and prayers.